Thursday 8 January 2009

2009 Predictions

Hi everyone - Happy New year. I've just been looking through the latest batch of foodie mags and press releases and they all seem to be making predictions for the year ahead. All well and good - but be a bit bold, people! According to Olive magazine, cooking from scratch is going to be big. And people are going to be more environmentally friendly and more into local food and provenance. Is it just me or were all these mentioned last year, and the year before? And as for predictions that we're all going to be more more price conscious by shopping around for the best deal and using cheaper cuts of meat, isn't that a bit of a credit-crunch no-brainer? Still, I would question Olive's prediction that we as a public will turn our nose up at champagne in favour of cheaper sparkling wines and Metro's suggestion that we'll abandon high-end restaurants for cheaper alternatives. For special ocassions, I'm sure both will still be wanted. The prediction that trattorias, cafes, bistros and other less-formal restaurants will be big is a little more worthwhile but, with meze, tapas and antipaste bars already popular and growing in number, it's still a bit of a cop out. I'd be interested to see if any of you have any proper predictions. What will be the big new superfood? The latest top cuisine? What will the big name chefs be doing - who'll be going up and who'll be going down? My main prediction is probably more of a wish - that Teff flour (an ancient form of wheat used to make Ethiopian Injeera bread) becomes readily available - it could also be a bit of a superfood given its high protein content. Maybe it will be the next Spelt or Kamut! In the meantime, if anyone knows where I could get some Teff flour, please let me know!!

3 comments:

  1. Teff flour is obtainable through Innovative Solutions UK Ltd. To order visit their website at www.innovative-solutions.org.uk.
    Also obtainable on prescription for diagnosed coeliacs from the same supplier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks - I'm really excited! I'll order some straight away! I'll be sure to give a post on what I think when I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....I have been looking for teff flour for ages as I am gluten free and have read about inerja bread which I would love to have a bread to try! Do you have any recipes or top tips for success in making the bread?

    ReplyDelete